Author: Tanisha E. Serves: 2 Time: 1h
Ingredients for the Innards
- 3 tbs Olive Oil
- 8 oz Ground Lamb
- 1 Large Potato (cubed)
- 1 cup Frozen Green Peas (thawed)
- 2 tbs Tikka Paste (bought or homemade)
- 1 Sweet Onion (diced)
- 1 cup Shredded Carrots
- ¼ cup Chopped Mint Leaves
Ingredients for Tikka Paste
- 5 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Large piece of ginger
- 1 Tsp Chili powder
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp Sea Salt
- 4 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 Fresh red chilis
- ¼ Cup Fresh Cilantro (Coriander)
- 2 Tsp Ground cumin
- 2 Tsp Ground coriander seeds
- ¼ Cup Walnut Oil or Nut Oil
- Juice from 1 Lime
Ingredients for Pie Crust (you can buy ready made pie crust in frozen section)
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 Stick Room temp Unsalted Butter
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 3 Tbs Ice Water
Directions for innards:
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a large pan.
- Add the ground lamb
- Sprinkle salt and pepper powder.
- Fry until browned all over but pink in the middle.
- Add the tikka paste and cook for a minute more.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and onions.
- Add 1/2 tsp oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and add mint leaves, mango chutney and peas.
- Add mixture into pie crust.
- Cover with a second pie crust and pinche the edges together
- Place the pie into a preheated oven at 215 C/425 F and bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Turn once or twice.
- Serve hot with mango chutney.
Directions for Tikka Paste:
Place all ingredients in a mixer/blender and blend together until you create a paste. Scoop paste into mason jar.
Homemade Pie Crust:
- Place flour, salt, and shortening in a medium size bowl. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Mix ingredients together by hand until mixture is a fine crumb with some pieces the size of small peas.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of ice cold water to center of the crumb mixture. Gently shake the bowl back and forth to form larger balls of dough. Add the 3rd tbs of water if needed.
- Spreading your fingers apart, “rake” the dough together, and gather into a ball. Press the dough into a ball and place on floured parchment paper. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and press dough down into a 1 inch thick disc.
- Flour the rolling pin and roll the dough into a large circle about 3-4 inches larger than your pie plate.
- Fold dough in half and carefully place in your pie plate. Placing the fold in the center of the pie dish. Unfold the dough and gently press down into the pie plate.
- Trim the edge of the crust about 1 inch away from pie plate. Tuck the overhanging edge under itself and rest on the rim of the pie plate. For a fluted rim, press your thumb and index finger, held about 1 inch apart, against the outside of the rim, then poke a dent through the space from the inside of the pie crust with the index finger of your other hand.
- Bake according to pie recipe.
Story of the recipe
This is an indian-british recipe
I am currently working on having a more plant-based diet but for the holiday I wanted to try my hands a meat pie before the year’s end. I absolutely love lamb samosas so I wanted to try my hand at the flavors but in special handmade pie crust. You can substitute the lamb for chicken or beef or a vegetarian option