Author: Vanessa Nguyen Serves: 6-8 Time: 25’+ 55′ baking
Source of the recipe: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/lattice-topped-apple-pie/
- 5-1/2 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the pastry
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 5 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, water, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one half slightly larger.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out larger portion of pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge of plate. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust.
- Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.